The step-wise evolution of the GHG and Energy Target Management System (TMS) of the Republic of Korea, launched in 2010, has grown to cover 840 industrial installations, otherwise known as controlled entities (CEs). In 2013, the TMS instituted a web-based GHG Management System (NGMS) based on a common reporting framework that includes provisions for built-in verification, independent third party verification, public disclosure of data submitted by CEs and generation of time series analysis and reports.
The reporting system follows a robust annual work cycle beginning with the designation of the CEs, target setting, submission of implementation plans, verification of implementation plans and implementation reporting. The annual cycle not only facilitates monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) and continuous expansion of coverage, but also supports the preparations of national communications and biennial update reports (BURs). The National GHG Management System is considered a good practice since it has established a system for regular tracking of GHG emissions from an increasing number of emission points with a quality assurance process through independent expert verification, which enhances and harmonises the updating of GHG inventories and timely reporting to the UNFCCC.
No direct cooperation with any international agency was needed to develop the web-based MRV system.
The Ministry for the Environment’s annual budget provides financial resources to develop and implement the web-based reporting system.
- Ministry of Environment: overall oversight, sets standards and guidelines, certification of verifiers, controlling department for the waste sector
- Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Rural Affairs: controlling department for the food sector
- Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy: controlling department for the industry sector
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport: controlling department for the transport sector
- Greenhouse Gas Inventory and Research Centre of Korea (GIR): publishes guidelines for MRV, manages data and registry, research and analysis to implement the process through the annual cycle
- National Institute of Environmental Research: research, analysis and training