2050 Pathways Calculator – UK
The 2050 Calculator is an award-winning, user-friendly model that lets users create their own UK emissions reduction pathway, and see the impact using real scientific data. The 2050 Calculator helps everyone engage in the debate and lets Government make sure our planning is consistent with this long-term aim. The UK is committed to reducing its greenhouse gas emissions by at least 80% by 2050, relative to 1990 levels. For this to happen, the UK economy needs to be transformed while ensuring secure, low-carbon energy supplies to 2050.
Key questions addressed:
- How can my country feasibly reduce GHG emissions by at least 80% by 2050, relative to 1990 levels?
- What are the GHG impacts and contributions of various behavioral and policy actions?
Sample data inputs:
- Scenario option for each category
Sample quantitative outputs:
- Supply and demand of energy and electricity
- Total emissions
- Energy flows
- Area of land required
- Impact on air quality
- Energy security and cost
Accessing the tool:
The 2050 Calculator is available in three versions to allow a range of audiences to explore the fundamental question of how the UK can best meet energy needs while reducing emissions:
- the user-friendly web-tool version of the 2050 Calculator for a detailed look at the issue
- the simplified My2050 simulation for those who want an overview (please see the My2050 Schools Toolkit for ideas of how to use this in the classroom)
- the full Excel version of the 2050 Calculator for experts who want to look at the underpinning model.
View the UK 2050 Calculator and associated documents