The main mandate of the program is to collect, analyze and disseminate information on water resources, water uses, and agricultural water management with an emphasis on countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean. This allows interested users to find comprehensive and regularly updated information at global, regional, and national levels.
The database offers data, metadata, reports, country profiles, river basin profiles, regional analyses, maps, tables, spatial data, guidelines, and other tools on:
- Water resources: internal, transboundary, total
- Water uses: by sector, by source, wastewater
- Irrigation: location, area, typology, technology, crops
- Dams: location, height, capacity, surface area
- Water-related institutions, policies and legislation