Webinar on Long-term Low Emission Development Strategies (LT-LEDS)
Date: 2 July 2019
Time: 11:00 am – 12:30 pm India Time/ 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm Bangkok Time
This webinar will focus on the benefits and basic principles underlying LT-LEDS processes. The key learning objectives for participants are:
- Increased confidence and understanding on the ‘why’ and ‘how’ of developing a LTS for their national context,
- Clearer understanding of the international technical support available,
- Increased motivation to progress to the next stage of developing a LT-LEDS (e.g. ‘readiness assessment’, follow up country specific engagement on LT-LEDS development, joining supportive communities of practice).
This webinar will have a specific focus on governance aspects related to LT-LEDS and will include interactive discussion with participants. Please review the discussion questions below and be prepared to share experiences and lessons from your country. The webinar is organized by the Asia LEDS Partnership, LEDS Global Partnership and Climate Works Australia (CWA).
- Introduction to ALP/LEDS GP and its services – Asia LEDS Partnership
- Introduction to the webinar – ClimateWorks Australia
- LT-LEDS background and overview including benefits, business case and key issues/lessons related to governance – 2050 Pathways Platform
- LT-LEDS stages and approach based on recent work in Pacific and south east Asia with a focus on governance – Climate Works Australia
- India Deep Decarbonization Pathways Project
- Facilitated discussion on LTS needs and interests in the Asia region
Instructions for participants
We have provided a set of questions below to facilitate peer-learning and discussion during this session. Please engage with your colleagues at work ahead of the webinar and come prepared to respond to these questions. If you would like to submit your responses ahead of time, please send your responses to Asia LEDS Partnership Secretariat at email@example.com.
- What are the key lessons you can share on building good cross-ministerial buy-in for
long term planning processes (e.g. NDCs, green growth strategies, LEDS etc)?
- How has climate action been effectively linked to sustainable development to
significantly increase ambition?
- Where are the key gaps you’re seeing in terms of capacity to deliver a LT-LEDS in your
country? What could help address this?