Aviation sector EU Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) case study
This case study looks at the establishment of a comprehensive training and accreditation program for Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Verifiers to enable them to undertake verification in the aviation sector, for the EU Emissions Trading Scheme (EU ETS). It was established by Future Perfect in collaboration with the Portuguese Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
The Portuguese EPA provides specialized environmental education and training to verifiers operating in Portugal. Future Perfect’s role was to specifically address Portugal’s immediate need to upskill their existing experienced pool of verifiers to be able to service the requirements of the aviation sector, following the incorporation of aviation into the EU ETS (primarily through – Directive 2008/101/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 November 2008 amending Directive 2003/87/EC so as to include aviation activities in the scheme for greenhouse gas emission allowance trading within the Community, 13 January 2009, L 8/3).
- The primary support provided by FP throughout the entire program consisted of:
- Consultancy and guidance on training program design and setup
- Designing and running interactive workshops for verifiers
- Designing and delivering three days training materials to cover the aviation sector, requirements of reporters, and conducting verifications in the sector
- Creation of accreditation exam materials
- Provision of training manuals, additional reference materials and electronic handouts and online resource documents
View the case study here.