Energy efficient electric motor systems: learning from Indonesia – webinar resources
This webinar, from the Energy Research Centre of the Netherlands (ECN) and the Directorate of Energy Conservation in the Indonesian Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, introduces listeners to the characteristics of energy efficient electric motor systems, their design and the savings that are possible from improved systems.
The webinar also describes the barriers that prevent more efficient systems being adopted and presents a range of policies that are available to governments to encourage energy efficient electric motor systems, and how these apply to a developing country context such as Indonesia.
Supported by CDKN, the Energy Research Centre of the Netherlands (ECN) is working with the Directorate of Energy Conservation in the Indonesian Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, to develop a policy framework related to energy efficient electric motor systems (EE-EMS). More efficient electric motor systems can reduce energy demand from the industrial and commercial sectors, as well as improve the energy costs and competitiveness of companies.
Motor driven systems are typically responsible for the majority of electricity demand in the industrial and commercial sectors: in Indonesia it is more than 60%. As in many countries, most existing are older or lower efficiency designs, often used at fixed speeds that waste power. Typically less than 5% of a motor’s lifetime expense comes from the cost of purchasing the equipment. The remaining 95% is dominated by the cost of power. This represents an enormous opportunity for conserving energy and saving costs.
Download the slides here or watch the webinar below.
Introduction: Project background and links between energy efficiency and climate
Presentation 1: Motors in Indonesia: their importance and opportunities
Presentation 2: Policy tools for improving motor systems in the Indonesian context
Q&A with audience
Lachlan Cameron is an advisor and technical analyst specialising in domestic sustainable energy policy and international climate concepts such as nationally appropriate mitigation actions (NAMAs) and intended nationally determined contributions (INDCs).
Jeffrey Sipma is a scientific researcher at ECN Policy Studies. He holds a BSc in Chemical Engineering and an MSc in Environmental Science. At ECN, his work mainly focuses on energy efficiency in the built environment, where he is responsible for modeling energy consumption in the services sector.
Maarten van Werkhoven is senior advisor at TPA advisors. He works on policy programs and technical projects on energy efficiency and sustainability in industry and buildings. He is active in different international programs on electric motor systems.
- Energy Research Centre of the Netherlands (ECN) and the Directorate of Energy Conservation in the Indonesian Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources