Long range energy planning in Vietnam and Indonesia – webinar and related resources
This webinar, from our Asia LEDS Partnership and LEDS GP’s Energy Working Group demonstrates the latest features of LEAP, the Long Range Energy Alternatives Planning System, a modelling tool that tracks energy consumption, production and resource extraction in different sectors. Watch the webinar below or download the webinar presentation on the right.
LEAP, the Long Range Energy Alternatives Planning System, is a widely-used software tool for energy policy analysis and climate change mitigation assessment. Developed by the Stockholm Environment Institute, LEAP is an integrated modelling tool that can be used to track energy consumption, production and resource extraction in all sectors of an economy. It can be used to account for both energy sector and non-energy sector greenhouse gas emission sources and sinks, as well as to analyze emissions of local and regional air pollutants.
There is much recognition among policymakers and practitioners in Asia of LEAP as an available and proven energy planning tool. LEAP offers a high degree of flexibility and customizability to a user’s context, while remaining user-friendly in terms of data requirements for use. Although there is relatively high awareness of LEAP already, there are opportunities to increase or expand its usage in new, relevant ways.
The webinar includes an overview and demonstration of the latest features in LEAP by the tool’s developer. Participants also learnt about two cases in which LEAP has been applied for different purposes in Asia:
- Vietnam – To support development of the country’s nationally determined contribution (NDC) submitted leading up to the 21st United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change Conference (COP 21) in Paris in 2015, and
- Indonesia – To support baseline greenhouse gas emission calculations at the sub-national level for the energy sector, and in support of the national energy planning process.
Download the presentation from the webinar here: Long range energy planning in Vietnam and Indonesia
Watch the webinar below:
Image credit: Mumbai, India. Photo: Simone D. McCourtie/ World Bank
- Stockholm Environment Institute
- the Vietnam Institute of Energy
- USAID Indonesia Clean Energy Development (II) Program
- Asia LEDS Partnership
- LEDS GP